LAR III Project
Local Administration Reform in Turkey (LAR Phase III)
Project Funder / Donor
The Project is developed in the light of gains from Local Administration Reform Phase I (2005-2007) and Phase II (2010-2011). As such most of the activities build on and/or complement the activities that have been realized within LAR-II with a view to further the LAR and increase the impact. Within the scope of the LAR entrusted with the MoI, both phases of LAR projects addressed the core pillars of the ongoing overall reform process in Turkey by strengthening the local administration system as a whole and improving the institutional capacities of local authorities and individual capacities of relevant staff.
The overall objective of the Project is to ensure effective, inclusive, accountable and participatory local governance in Turkey, in particular through support to further implementation of the LARs undertaken between 2003 and 2013, in line with international standards. Activities of project are carried out under 3 main components: “effective local service delivery”, “new metropolitan municipality model” and “online management information systems”.
The specific objective of the project is to develop and strengthen the administrative capacity and cooperation of Ministry of Interior (MoI) and local authorities themselves in the task of ensuring the effective implementation of the new local administration model in line with principles of democratic governance.
Expected results of the project are as follows:
1. Administrative and operational capacities for efficient provision of local services enhanced,
2. Administrative and operational capacities of the local authorities for the implementation of new Metropolitan Municipality Model strengthened,
3. Institutional capacity of the local authorities in terms of service delivery and adoption of the principles of democratic governance enhanced,
4. Public awareness on urbanization enhanced through institutional and individual capacity enhancement programs,
5. Efficiency of the local services enhanced through online managements systems.
The direct (lead) beneficiary: Ministry of Interior (MoI), General Directorate of Provincial Administrations.
Co-Beneficiary: Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, Directorate General for Local Authorities
Implementing Partners: Union of Municipalities of Turkey, Ministry of Treasury and Finance