Human Rights Cities
Human Rights Cities (HRC)
2018 – 2020
Project Funder / Donor
Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SİDA)
Considering rapid population growth and rapid urbanization in Turkey, local authorities are increasingly in need of financial resources and proper planning to overcome current challenges. Especially the migration flows faced by cities create pressure in local services they provide and increase social conflict.
In this context, RWI Turkey Program introduced the human rights city project in Turkey, in cooperation with Union of Turkish World Municipalities (TDBB), to support cities in their efforts to promote inclusive urban development. Union of Municipalities of Turkey (UMT) supports HCR in the dissemination of the project’s outputs and training programs and also in the implementation of Best Practices Program of the Council of Europe.
The project aims to ensure participatory governance, provide accessibility to all municipal services and develop mechanisms to safeguard the safety/well-being especially for the most vulnerable groups.
The name of the pilot municipalities and the themes they have prioritized are listed below:
1. Altındağ; children and women
2. Çankaya; children, women, people with disabilities and elderly
3. Maltepe; children and women
4. Mersin Metropolitan Municipality; children, women, people with disabilities, elderly and migrants
5. Muratpaşa; children, women and elderly
6. Şahinbey; children and migrants
7. Zeytinburnu; children, women and migrants