Assembly of UMT
Assembly of UMT
Municipalities (above 100k population)
Elected members among mayors and assembly members from 81 provinces equal to the number of parliamentarians representing each province.
Assembly Members in Total
Union Assembly is the decision making body of the Union.
- Union Assembly comprises of inherent and elected members. Mayors of metropolitan municipalities, provincial municipalities and municipalities representing populations equal to and above one hundred thousand people are inherent members to the union assembly. Other members are elected among mayors and assembly members equal to the number of parliamentarians representing each province through secret ballot. Also substitute members equal to half of the number of full members are selected in this election.
- Union Assembly member election is realised in response to the request of the Union Chairperson at the time and place to be announced priorly by the metropolitan municipality and provincial municipality mayor by the chairmanship council led by the metropolitan municipality and provincial municipality mayor or municipality mayors they grant authority unto and two secretary members to be determined among mayors with priority to the mayor of the municipalities with the highest population in that province. Those willing to participate in the election may grant authority in writing to another member to vote by proxy. Members who receive the highest votes from participants to the meeting are assumed to be elected as assembly members.
- At least eighty percent of the members to be elected to union assembly are elected among municipality mayors in the province and, in case the number of municipalities in the province is not sufficient, the remaining members are elected among municipality assembly members.
- Elections in a province are realised after the announcement of election results as per the request of the Union and are communicated to the Union ten days prior to the first meeting of the union assembly. Members to represent provinces that fail to realise their elections within this time period are determined by the Union Council to carry out the responsibilities until an election is carried out.
- Substitute members are called upon to complete the remaining period in place of any members who lose their municipality mayor or assembly member states.
Duties and authorities of the Union Assembly are as follows:
a) Discussing and approving the Union’s strategic plan, investment plant and work schedule.
b) Approving budget and final account, making transfers between the institutionally coded units and the first levels of functional classification in the budget.
c) Deciding upon borrowing.
d) Deciding upon purchase, sale, lease and exchange of real estates.
e) Determining the price tariff to be implemented for services to be rendered by the Union.
f) Accepting conditional donations.
g) Deciding upon the amicable settlement of Union receivables subject to lawsuits with amounts between two thousand Turkish Liras and ten thousand Turkish Liras.
h) Deciding upon the realisation of Union investments through build-operate or build-operate-transfer models.
i) Selecting Union chairmanship council, Union Council members and Assembly Specialised Commission members.
j) Deciding upon the establishment of units under Union structure, staff position granting and termination. Approving any amendments to be made in Union charter.
k) Approving any regulations to be issued by the Union.
l) Resolving any disputes between the Union chairperson and Union Council.
m) Discussing Union activity report.
n) Deciding upon memberships, joint projects and cooperation within the context of Union’s duties and authorities.o) Determining the wages of contracted personnel.
p) Deciding upon purchase of vehicles in compliance with the Vehicles Act no. 237.
q) Deciding upon payment of social stability compensation and making contracts in line, according to the Law on Public Officials’ Labour Unions and Collective Bargaining no. 4688.
r) Deciding upon service undertakings for future years.
Utilising other authorities granted by laws.